Saturday, May 19, 2018

It is up to us to create a heaven right here on earth

Another mass shooting!

Seriously, we have two problems: Guns, and men.  But, the party of thugs, aka the GOP, won't allow us to talk about these two.  Definitely not about guns.

Meanwhile, we are well in to Ramadan. 

For all the non-believer that I am, I consciously think about my existence, and worry about what it means to be human.  When bad things come my way, whether it was the refrigerator that died thanks to which I had to buy a new one or when people who are near and dear to me say awful things about me right to my face, I do not need a god to turn to.  "Shit happens" I tell myself.  After all, it is not as if the entire cosmos exists only to serve me!  The cosmos is.  

But, when it is a mass shooting that kills a few 17-year olds, it does not feel right to merely blame it on the cosmos.  We humans are the ones creating hell right here for other fellow humans!  Bloody sociopaths!  May they be tortured to the nth degree in the hell in which they believe!

Whether it is Lent, or Ramadan, or whatever, I am not ever sure that most of the believers really use that designated time in order to reflect on our fleeting existence on this "mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam," as Carl Sagan so poetically put it. 

In fact, the disconnect between such need for introspection versus the believers merely reciting the Vishnu Sahasranaamam and the Bhaja Govindam and more was the point of departure for the young me questioning the idea of god and religion and belief.  I was convinced then, and even more convinced I am now, that living a morally sound life has nothing to do with god and religion. 

The "godly" Republicans are the ones who support this president and also the organization that has over the years made it easier and easier for Americans to buy highly lethal guns and even openly carry them.  "God help us!" won't work then.  We are bound to witness more and more mass shootings :(

No comments: