Friday, March 16, 2018

I can't imagine what you're going through

Take a look at this photo:

Source

And now this photo:


Notice anything different?

One person is missing.

She is dead.

Carmen was one of the 17 who were killed by a gunman at a Florida high school last month.

I was listening to the report on NPR when I was driving back home.  It made me teary as hell.

After that, I shut the radio off and drove the rest of the way in silence.

You, too, should listen to it.  Hear the parents and others. Their emotions.

I don't want to reproduce anything here about Carmen, her accomplishments in the short life that she had, and what people had to say.  Because I want you to listen to it all.

But, I will bring this in because I want us all to think about it for a long, long, time.  Carmen's father says:
People constantly say to me, I can't imagine what you're going through. Well, you should. You should try to comprehend your daughter, who you are so proud of and who was just beginning to live her life, being riddled by bullets. Being told when the medical examiner gives the body back to the funeral home, you can't see her. We have to spend days working on her body. And maybe, maybe you'll be able to see her then. Think about that
Yes, think about that, while you listen. And imagine what they--and many others like them--are going through.  That's the least we can do.



Fucking Second Amendment nutcase bastards and their fucked up NRA!