Sunday, November 07, 2010

An autumn rain scene in Oregon

Autumn is here, for real.

Leaves everywhere, from the front porch to wherever I turn. A carpeting that will soon be cleared by nature and humans. The yellows and reds and greens on the trees are spectacular, while the trees that have shed all their leaves look like nudists standing among the evergreens.

During the break in the rains, I grabbed my camera and headed to walk by the river.

In the photo, you can see the dark clouds gathering. Yes, those clouds emptied their bucketloads on me and a few others who were out there. It was well worth the soaking because more than anything I got to see and smell the paradise where I live.

Quite an autumn rain scene it was, those few minutes when I rushed back home.

Why not then leave it to Thomas Hardy to describe "An Autumn Rain-Scene":
There trudges one to a merry-making
With a sturdy swing,
On whom the rain comes down.
To fetch the saving medicament
Is another bent,
On whom the rain comes down.
One slowly drives his herd to the stall
Ere ill befall,
On whom the rain comes down.
This bears his missives of life and death
With quickening breath,
On whom the rain comes down.
One watches for signals of wreck or war
From the hill afar,
On whom the rain comes down.
No care if he gain a shelter or none,
Unhired moves one,
On whom the rain comes down.
And another knows nought of its chilling fall
Upon him at all,
On whom the rain comes down.

2 comments:

Rob and Sara said...

Lovely photo! It captures the beauty of fall in Oregon, a season I'm missing right now in sweltering south India.

But I won't be sad to miss your January. :D

Unknown said...

This picture is even better than the previous one, but nature is the same - beautiful!