Saturday, September 19, 2009

America's plain vanilla democracy

Hey, I suppose I need a higher platform and a louder megaphone :-)
After returning from my vacation in India, I wrote a column that how much ever I am delighted with the discussions and debates on health care reform, even though I am overwhelmed, particularly by the ill- and mis-informed opinions. And the delight was because this is a sign that democracy is alive and well in America. Read it here.

David Harsanyi echoes these sentiments, although in the context of Joe "you lie" Wilson's behavior in the Congress. Harsanyi writes:
Have we transformed into so brittle a citizenry that we are unable to handle a raucous debate over the future of the country? If things were quiet, subdued, and "civil" in America today, as Pelosi surely wishes, it only would be proof that democracy isn't working.

It's no accident, either, that those in power are generally the ones choking up about the lack of decorum. The truth is we could use far less bogus civility in Washington.

Some of us, for instance, would prefer the superb system of debating used by the British Parliament. Watching those foppish MPs holler "poppycock, sir!" at one another during speeches is a pure pleasure. The British trade courteousness for a more productive, more honest, and, most importantly, more entertaining debate. (The occasional Taiwanese-style free-for-all parliamentary slap riot wouldn't hurt C-Span's ratings, either.)
Indeed. When I first came to the US, during the old days when there was only one C-Span channel (!), I was so much let down by what I saw in the House and the Senate: legislators talking in empty chambers. It was, and continues to be, one of the most surreal political images for me, more so when the Senate is hailed as the greatest debating body in the world. Yeah, debates. Right!

America has a strange format for democracy. There is no grilling of the chief executive, which happens with regularity in the British parliamentary system. Obama and Clinton would have been fantastic in that mode, with their superb grasp of details and the ability to be quick on the draw. Bush--papa and son--should be thankful for the near divine right accorded to American presidents.

The monarchical rites during the State of the Union address are a complete turn off for me--from the manner in which the President is announced, to the manner in which his (yes, so far no "her") address is applauded. Absolutely not what I picture in my mind as the epitome of democracy.

Talk to me when the press does not stand up when the President walks in to take their questions.

No comments: