Thursday, July 31, 2008

Why I love the New Yorker

Two years ago, as my own personal budget-cutting exercise, I opted not to renew my subscription to the New Yorker and the Atlantic. I am glad that my daughter gifted me with a subscription to the New Yorker--a wonderful gift, more so compared to some lame gifts I have received over the years for birthday and father's day :-)

The latest issue of the New Yorker has wonderful content--I think the editor made it up for the remarkably awful cover on Obama. The essay on California's marijuana industry, in a legal grey area, provided details I would never have imagined. The short story by Ruth Jhabvala is exactly what I would expect from her--a slowly unfolding narration about regular folk with their own quirks. The memoir essay by Charles Van Doren, of the notorious $64,000 quiz show, is a good read.

No comments: