Thursday, January 07, 2021

The Insurrection

I have no words to describe the events of January 6, 2021.



As shocked and upset I am, I am not surprised even one bit.

Back on March 9, 2016--yes, almost five years ago--when tRump was a candidate in the Republican primaries, I was worried sick that nobody was stopping him.  

I wrote then:
The emergence of Trump as a candidate--and, gasp, as President of the proverbial free world--will only further reinforce the idea that liberal democracies are for pussies!
Oh well, we get the leaders we deserve!

One after another, Republican "leaders" embraced the demagogue.  A friendly couple who were dead set against him decided that they would after all vote for him holding their noses.  Across the street, neighbors became jubilant tRump red-hatters.

It was easy to see what kind of a president he would be because he was always transparent about his motives and actions.  That is why even one of the commenters--who herself later voted for him!--wrote in her comment:

In a recent conversation with my dad, I speculated how much Trump would use executive orders to get his way. I can't imagine Congress giving him everything, or even half of what, he wants, and it seems his personality to respond with an executive order. (In ways he reminds me of a toddler in a sandbox, preferring to go home rather than share his toys.) Can't you hear it now? "Congress didn't pass my ban on Muslim immigrants so I will use executive order." He'll say that he is following the will of the people since the people elected him. I wonder how long it takes to initiate impeachment proceedings?

Even that tRump voter--with whom I ended my association because there is no such thing as a good tRump voter--could see eight months before the election, and ten months before the inauguration, that he would be impeached.  

And he was.

However, his enablers in the Senate acquitted him, thereby giving him a free pass to do even more damage.  He gladly took up the second lease on his presidency, and continued with his assault on democracy all the way through January 6, 2021.


No comments: