Friday, October 16, 2020

Dump tRump

When I play bridge online, the name I use to identify myself is "Dump tRump."

I take my political preference even to that extent.  The sociopath is so toxic to humanity that I need to broadcast that at every avenue I have (except the classroom and--in the pre-Covid era--in my office.)

Here in this blog, I have made it clear that any tRump supporters should not even bother leaving a comment, which some of the old regulars have implemented and I am happy about it.  It is up to people and their conscience or god to explain how and why they support a sociopath.

The world of knowledge and inquiry has been in shock since that election victory, and the sociopath's continued insistence on denying facts, logic, and science has been a farcical tragedy.  In this world, which is the vastness outside of Faux News, even those who used to be apolitical have taken it upon themselves to take a stand against tRump.  After all, leaders and institutions will be thoroughly examined by future historians on what they did during the tRump nightmare.

Scientific journals that have never ever editorialized on presidential elections could no longer stand on the sidelines.

Why now, when they have been silent for decades?

Sociologists say the scientific establishment seems to be making a switch from a long-held condemnation of political interference in science to actually condemning a politician. “In some ways, this is the last stand,” says Dana Fisher, a sociologist at the University of Maryland, College Park. “They have to stand up, at this point, for science because science and its role in society is threatened right now.”

This is a moment unlike any other.  Extraordinary times require extraordinary actions.

Of course, a tRump supporter like this person doesn't care for what the NEJM or Nature have to say, though they will loudly claim that as "real Americans" they are entitled to benefit from the scientific expertise.

But, me taking a stand here at this blog, or scientists writing editorials is not about influencing the electorate.  We recognize the moral imperative and act.  We need to dump tRump, and his enablers in Congress.

No comments: