Saturday, December 21, 2019

Santa Claus is coming to town

People were lining up against their yoga mats and sheets.  And then he appeared.  Mr. Claus himself.

India is a land of strange juxtapositions.  A costumed Santa at the yoga corner of the public park in a major city in India is, well, yet another thing that most locals don't even give a second look.  But, I, who for decades have been a foreigner in the old country, watched the spectacle with much curiosity.

Mr. Claus stood where the yoga teacher usually stands.  A couple of people walked up to him and took selfies.  Middle-aged people--not kids--with Santa.

Mr. Claus then slowly ambled towards the middle of the park.

I wondered whether he would proceed towards the small temple.  I prepared myself for the strangest of sights ever--Santa Claus bowing his head while worshiping the idol.

Alas, that did not happen.

Mr. Claus walked towards the gate, and prepared to exit the park.  He saw a toddler in the arms of the grandpa.  He walked towards them.

The kid screamed and yelled and started crying.

I suppose if I didn't know anything about the world, and if I saw a strangely costumed person walking towards me, I too would scream and yell even at my age.

Mr. Claus was on a mission to bring peace and love to kids.  So, he was not ready to give up.  And neither was the grandpa.  They both tried to get the toddler to look at Santa in the eye.  The toddler stiffened up and made sure to look in the other direction while letting out a loud cry.

Mr. Claus walked towards the road and soon disappeared.

I continued on with my walk towards the restaurant to get myself idlis and vadai, wondering if I will be served by Santa Claus ;)

No comments: