Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Sign here

It has been almost 18 years since we got into a military conflict in Afghanistan.  Eighteen years!  College freshman students have no personal experience and understanding of our country at peace.  To them, we have always been at war :(

A pacifist that I am, I have always hated wars.  Well, except for a brief time in my teenage years when I thought that violence and revolutionary wars could overturn the choking status quo.  And then I got older.

At least going to Afghanistan was logical enough, with the country then being home to the dangerous combination of the Taliban and al-Qaeda.  But, the invasion of Iraq?  I was completely against it.  I was opposed to it.  Yet, as I noted in this post a while ago, I did not sign on to a campus petition.


As I explained in another post, it is not that I don't sign petitions.  I do.  But, I run far, far away from "we, the academics" petitions.  The ones that I add my name to are typically "not merely from academics and are, instead, open to anybody from any walk of life. It does not matter if I am an academic or a ditch-digger or a filthy rich capitalist; those petitions are from "we, the people."

I don't want to pretend that I know it all.  I am fully aware that what I know is minuscule.  On public policy matters, by signing on to "we, the people" petitions, I am only participating in a democratic process, and not because I am an "expert."  And that seems to be the overall point in this essay too, where the author notes that "Our job is to persuade by argument, not by wielding influence."

However, I disagree with the author's absoluteness:
I believe that petitions, regardless of their content, compromise core values of intellectual inquiry.
Come on!  Be a philosopher and add the necessary qualifiers, woman!  "regardless of their content"?  Really?

The author's essay is otherwise carefully phrased, and she even notes this: "I am not saying that philosophers should refrain from engaging in political activity; my target is instead the politicization of philosophy itself."  And yet she disses all petitions "regardless of their content."

Take action, philosophers, but as "we, the people"!

No comments: