Wednesday, April 24, 2019

“School teaches you only to be better at school"

It was an email from a student who graduated three years ago.

"But, I wasn't even her favorite instructor.  I thought she did not like me and the classes that she took with me."

Yep, those were my immediate thoughts.  I am by now used to not being anybody's favorite.  Popularity is simply not my thing.

And, yet, there it was. An email from her.

I wrote "I will gladly assist you" in my reply to her request that I participate as a guide in her professional pursuit.

And I added more.

After all, if a student has taken two classes with me, then for certain I remember them well--sometimes way too well for their liking!

I wrote in that email, "BTW, perhaps you have forgotten that I used your remark in class in one of my op-eds." And expanded on it.

A couple of days later, she replied. "I actually forgot about the op-ed (and my cheeky comments in class). Hopefully, I can teach my students more than just to be good at school!"

She will be a fantastic teacher.

Here is that op-ed, from May 2016.
*****************

“School teaches you only to be better at school,” said a student who is graduating in June, in response to my question to the class on whether they thought they were ready for the world of employment.
The other students immediately and unhesitatingly agreed with her.
Without even knowing it, the student was channeling Ken Robinson. In a highly entertaining TED talk back in 2006 (way before “TED talk” became a part of our everyday vocabulary), Robinson noted that “you’d have to conclude the whole purpose of public education throughout the world is to produce university professors.” Psychology professors are keen on creating more psychology professors and biology professors want to make biologists, so to speak.
I will be at least a tad happy if that student’s statement were true. I am not convinced that school is teaching students to be better at school. An increasing body of research questions the value added over the four-plus years of undergraduate schooling.
But, even more do I worry that higher education has become a diluted and credential-chasing process that is falling way short when it comes to preparing students for employment.
It begins when graduating high school seniors and college freshmen are bombarded about their academic majors. This is where the machinery of school teaching students to be better at school does a tremendous disservice because college is really not about the major.
The composition of the academic credits toward a college degree itself easily gives this away — a majority of those credits will not be in the major. Or, to rephrase it, if college education is only about a major, then an undergraduate experience can be wrapped up within a year and a half after high school.
Even the preparation for productive employment is rarely about the major itself. The skills that employers repeatedly cite as important — skills like writing, thinking, communicating, researching and more — are gained through a broad array of topics outside one’s major, and that is what most of the undergraduate education is all about.
Yet the myth persists and, despite all the research, there are some academic majors that are more geared for employment than others. Of course, that is the case if students are in professional undergraduate programs like elementary school teaching, for instance. But, otherwise, the link between a college major and productive employment is nebulous at best — unless one wants to be a college professor.
If we are truly interested in how higher education is serving the young and, hence, the country’s future, then the debate we ought to be engaged in is not about whether majoring in science, technology, engineering and math (often grouped as STEM) is better than art history, or whether we need philosophers or plumbers.
Instead, society needs to pay attention to whether students are mastering the skills that are needed to be gainfully employed, along with a broad understanding in order to be caring citizens. Else it will continue to be the case that the only thing that school teaches the young is to be better at school.

No comments: