Saturday, October 13, 2018

Resistance is exhausting!

These days, I often feel like throwing down that proverbial towel and giving up.  Resistance seems futile.  It is exhausting.

And then I think about how we reached the place where we are.  The rights that we enjoy today came from those who fought for it.  Against great odds.  Sometimes they literally gave their lives for the cause ... so that we can be where we are today.

Which means, I have no grounds to complain about feeling exhausted.  As mentally tiring and challenging as it is in this political climate, active resistance is required.

Two days ago, for instance, I emailed my District Attorney to ask her why she was silent on a controversial measure on which we Oregonians will vote in the next few days.  In that lengthy email, I wrote:
Your silence on this is unacceptable. This is not a time for silence. It’s a time for leadership. Getting into an elected office requires you to demonstrate leadership, and to let your constituents know where you stand on important and critical public policy initiatives. 
The DA replied. Which itself was a shocker to this Rodney Dangerfield.  And offered to also meet with me.  And then sent me a draft of her statement that she said she would release to the public.

After reading that, I sent another lengthy email to the DA, in which I wrote:
But, at least you have revealed your colors to us voters, which will help us evaluate your performance as the elected DA.
All these years, I have never cared to even know my DA is.  If anybody had asked me about district attorneys in America, I would have only talked about Hamilton Burger.  You know, the character in the Perry Mason series that we read as kids.  Now, the asshole-in-chief has made me find out who my DA is, and to then repeatedly email the DA!

The strange email conversation with the DA has not ended.  She wrote:
Sriram,   
I haven’t issued the statement yet.  I will take your remarks, and the remarks of others who have replied, into consideration before putting the statement out to the public.   
Take it from this I-don't-get-no-respect guy, dear reader, if you live in America.
Resist.
Keep fighting.
Especially at the local level.

No comments: