Tuesday, September 11, 2018

I scream, you scream ... well, I don't

"Oh hello!!!" shrieked the woman on the bicycle as her companion bicyclist rode silently.

Why do girls and women shriek like that?  Do they go to some special classes, when they are three years old, where they are told: "You are women.  There'll be plenty of occasions when you have to shriek like mad.  Let's practice those screams."

Anyway, this woman didn't get excited because she saw me.  Nobody ever does!  I have no such illusions, dear reader.

I know this well enough, which is why if somebody even waves at me, I quickly look behind to see if there's someone tailing--and sure enough almost always there is.  Especially if a young woman appears to smile at me, I am supremely confident that there is a good looking man behind me.

Way back when I was a teenager, when like all teenagers I believed that the whole world was only about me, if a girl smiled even a tad, I was sure it was at me.  But then I quickly learnt my lesson.  Make that lessons--yes, in the plural.  The story of my life!

I even went to a psychiatrist once to talk about this issue.  I said, "well, the problem is this, doc: Nobody likes me."

He immediately said, "next!"

Ok, that really didn't happen.

But, that is because I cannot even get an appointment with any therapist.

Ok, that is also not true! ;)

So, the shrieker and her male companion got off their bikes.  They both looked like my age.  With her arms wide open, ready for a hug, she walked towards the man that she shrieked at.

Her companion was simply standing around, as if he was used to her theatrics by now.  I couldn't see whether he was rolling his eyes.

She gave the man a hug.  And then turned to her male companion.

"You know who this is?  He is Brenda's third husband."

Was it necessary to add "third"?  Was Brenda's ninth husband sitting somewhere else by the bikepath?  Have these two been stopping every few minutes, with her shrieking at one of Brenda's husbands while her male companion stood by rolling his eyes?

I have no more details to offer, dear reader.  I kept on walking.

No comments: