Tuesday, March 04, 2014

The taxman cometh not for my wealth

It felt like a gorgeous spring morning as I started driving to work.

I realized how quickly I have forgotten all the unusually nasty snowy and icy days we had. Life is that way, I guess. Even with a little bit of good things happening, we quickly put behind us the awful days and months and years we might have had.

The western sky had a few clouds while it was nothing but blue sky directly overhead. And the sunlight streaming in from the eastern side. With humidity in the air. It felt more like mid-April than early March.

I had the road all to myself.  I felt like the king of the world. That tiny part was all mine. My kingdom.  Nobody else's.

It drizzled a bit at first. And then light rain for a couple of minutes. The sun then came back. I hoped for a rainbow. Among the places I have lived in or traveled to, nowhere else but here in Oregon have I seen the many rainbows that I have, and such bright ones. Those rare double arcs are such a delight that cannot be substituted with any amount of material richness.

The red and black signs on the sides warned of roadwork ahead. I slowed down. And came to a stop behind a line of nine or ten vehicles.

Stopping gave me a chance to observe my surroundings. I looked a little to my left. There it was--a rainbow. A partial one, because there were no clouds up above. But, even a partial rainbow is prettier than most things I see in my daily life.

I turned to my right. More gold--daffodils in bloom in somebody's yard.

All these when spring is yet to officially arrive. More riches to come my way.   The cosmos was rewarding me, on top of the paycheck that I collect from the work that I go to via a scenic stretch. Boy am I a rich man!

It was one atrocious problem I now had: do I turn left and admire the colorful rainbow, or turn away from the rainbow and look at the golden daffodils on the other side, or be transfixed by the various shades of green that were all around.  The problems with such wealth!

The vehicles ahead of me started moving and I shifted the gear to drive.  Soon the daffodils and the rainbows were gone.

I can't wait to see what the cosmos has for me tomorrow.

2 comments:

Ramesh said...

Well you are paying the tax on all that wealth - you have to blog about it and "share" that wealth :)

Nice to see that there is a part of the world where a blocked road attracts a grand total of nine or ten vehicles standing in a line. Great.

Sriram Khé said...

A few years ago, a visiting Japanese professor spent a term at my university. I invited her to talk with students in one class of mine.
One question was about what the biggest difference for her was between Tokyo, where she lived, and here. I still remember her immediate response: "open space." And then she went on to explain that ...