Wednesday, December 04, 2013

Were my grandmothers racists?

A friend emailed me this video clip, in which Aziz Ansari--the Indian-American comedian/actor--observes that racism is very much on the decline here in the US and that the old racists are, well, dead or are dying from old age.  As with any public policy or comedy line, Ansari then works on the old grandmother angle and even asks the audience to make noise if their racist grandmothers died recently.

I agree with him.  Race is not that much an issue anymore, nowhere near what it was even during the time of the Rodney King and OJ Simpson dramas two decades ago.  But, it is there.

Anyway, Ansari's comment got me thinking.  Were my grandmothers racists?

There was no doubt that the grandmothers were steeped in the traditions.  They observed a great number of orthodox practices.  The interesting aspect is that the orthodoxy discriminated against all kinds of humans, depending on the contexts.  In the mornings, we kids were not allowed to touch grandmothers if we had not had our showers by then.  Menstruating females were condemned to a corner of the ancestral home, and even the sight of those females meant that grandmother had to cleanse herself all over again!  And, yes, the treatment of the lower castes. ... the list is endless.  It seemed like equal-opportunity discrimination ;)

But, would I think of my grandmothers as having been racist?

When they were presented with a world that was different from the traditional one that was the only world they had ever known, well, their practices changed, and changed dramatically.

I can relate many examples in this context.  For instance, one grandma lived with us for the last seven years of her life.  Her life was no longer back in the village.  In the new setting, too, she could have continued on with many of the old practices.  Yet, she ditched some, and moderated quite a lot.

As I think back about those years, I can see how she appreciated and supported the very different ways in which we kids were behaving in an environment where traditions died.  At school, we mingled with students of all castes and religions.  It did not bother her at all.  In fact, we even used to joke about this!  She was always happy to meet and chat with my sister's classmates when they came over.  (I was not a social being even then!)

Grandmother had an enlarged heart condition that required hospitalization at one point.  The attending physician, an MD those days when it was rare, was from a low tier of the atrocious caste system.  He treated her well, and she was happy about him as the physician.  (While I struggle to recall his name, I do remember that a year or so after the hospital interactions, the physician was elected as our representative to the Parliament and we felt great that for once we actually knew our MP!)

So, were my grandmothers racists?  They gave up the bad old traditions when presented with better ways to think about the world.  They modified their behavior not out of compulsion.  Not out of fear that otherwise life will be miserable for them.

Racism is merely one of the many prejudices around.  We walk around with baggage of prejudices that we might have picked up from our childhood days, from religious leaders, from peers, ... whatever.  If people point out that what we carry in the bag is not healthy and even after that if we do not get rid of that baggage, then we are bigots.

My grandmothers offloaded plenty of baggage, and in a hurry.

2 comments:

Ramesh said...

Disagree. I don't know your grandmothers, so can't speak for them, but without a doubt most of them were, and many still are, extreme racists.

When presented with different circumstances, they didn't really change. When they had no choice, they simply put up with it, but deep inside, none of the racism went away. A classic case is when they were hospitalised. All the madi and not touching the lower caste went away because they were helpless otherwise. You can bet your bottom dollar that if there existed a brahmin only hospital where everybody was ritually madi that was the only place they would go to. In fact, there is a huge demand for such a service today - hospitals organised on caste lines. The only reason it can't be done is that it is illegal in law.

Indian culture has a lot of deep racism embedded in it because of the all pervasive caste system.

Sriram Khé said...

Before I let you know whether or not I agree with you (no peeking at the bottom-line!) I have been struggling with this question ever since I became aware of the complications, which was quite a long time ago back in JHSS, even as a kid. Like with many issues, India's context never allowed me to engage in free and honest discussions. And, thus, I had to think within.

When young, I always wanted to sincerely engage in conversations with my peers who were from the low castes. But, I realized that I had to gain their confidence first before they could talk with me. With even the little bit I could, I could not understand how such a system could have ever been created and sustained over centuries. One of the worst ever of human's inventions.

I think I have always waited for an opportunity to engage in this topic, going that familiar route of autoethnography. Ansari's video provided an opportunity.

I have to reconstruct the past and figure this out. For myself. I want to understand whether my people were racists. It is a part of my existential struggle.

Every visit to India, I can feel the raw putting-people-in-categories approach, whether it is comments that my people make, or whether it is the autorickshaw driver, or a fellow passenger on a train. As an outsider anymore, I know it is not my place to engage them in discussions ...

So, the bottom-line is that given that my grandmothers have been dead for a few decades, I felt it would be safe to start with them. Dead ones tell not tales ;) In the post, I was giving them the benefit of the doubt while connecting the dots. But, deep down, I am afraid that I will conclude that they were racists, and it is a struggle to think of my dear old paattis as racists. Rest assured that, like many other themes that I visit over and over, this too is merely the beginning ...