Thursday, October 31, 2013

Why do I do whatever it is that I do?

Along with the link to a TED talk that a student emailed me, he included a comment, "I feel like this guy stole your idea ..." of course, he was kidding about the stealing--I, too, can recognize a joke ;)

A friend emails me this NY Times piece with a comment "Food for your blog…"

It is a relief knowing that I am not talking to myself, after all, and that there are students listening to me in the classroom, and that there are people reading my blog ;)

It is also a moment, yet again, of profound disappointment--I have been offering such arguments/critiques for years now and the very small part of the world where I interact hasn't paid attention to any of these and other issues at all.  If I were to ask myself what was I able to accomplish by blogging and writing op-eds, I cannot simply think of anything substantive to offer as evidence.

Nothing.
Nada.
Zip.
A big fat zero.

The craziest thing is that years ago, when saying the same things that I say now, I believed that something, somewhere might change for the better as a result.  One benefit in getting older is that I have become wiser--I truly expect nothing as a response to my analysis and understanding of the world.  It is not a matter of setting the bar low, but is a reflection of my understanding that what I say and do are inconsequential.

Yet, I continue to blog and write op-eds. And teach classes in my own ways.

A student asked me a couple of days ago, "how are you so passionate about what you teach and blog?"  Answering the question was easy because I think about that all the time.  Why do I do whatever it is that I do?

It is about giving life my best shot--even while expecting nothing.  Earlier in my life, emotions often ran high within me because of my inability to accept that a big fat zero was the response to my best shot.  Or, a negative too in many cases.  But, now, it is easy--I give it my best, and anything that I get in return is always an unexpected bonus that makes my day.

There is no way but onward and doing whatever it is that I do.

2 comments:

Ramesh said...

IN the majesty of the universe and the eternity of time, anything that anyone does is of no consequence whatsoever. Still we do what we do, because we are we :)

How about that for profound philosophy early in the morning.

Sriram Khé said...

Looks like the filter "kaapi" is doing wonders ;)