Thursday, October 10, 2013

I am not waiting for a writer's "shining" moment

"I feel like there are lots of writers here in Eugene" she said, as we began the small talk at the checkout counter at my regular grocery store.  Sometimes, I feel like I could write a book simply based on my conversations with the checkout personnel alone.

I smiled as I placed my reusable bag on top of the groceries.

"I have two friends who say they are working on their books" she added.  And then looking at her colleague who was bagging the groceries, she said "and he writes."

I live in a wonderfully unique town and shop at a very interesting store.  One woman who works there has been to different parts of the world thanks to doing Uncle Sam's work.  Another is a former body-builder. And then there are those students at the university.  Old and young, they are all remarkably well-informed.  And they read the paper, too, which is how she knows that I write.

"Yes, I do" I nodded.

"I too dabble in writing" jumped in the bagger.  "I am an English major, so ..." and she shrugged her shoulders.

If not for the couple of people behind me in the line, I would have converted that into a seminar on our respective writings and readings.

"Hey, when it rains all the time, no wonder we sit inside and write" I joked.  Of course, I had to joke--that is what we men do!

"Maybe the writers move here because of the rain" added the bagger.

"Well, hey, that's what the Jack Nicholson character thought he would do by working in that hotel, so he could write, remember?"

A momentary pause and I could almost see the scene playing in her mind.  She smiled.

"So, watch out.  The next time I'm here, it could be "here's Johnny!""

We laughed.

I needed that laugh.  Those folks at the store have no idea how they make my life so much better.

2 comments:

Ramesh said...

How about quitting the Univ and becoming a fellow store checkout "person". Then you can chat with them all day - hahahahahah

Sriram Khé said...

hahaha ...
wait, one of these days i will get fired and i will be lucky to have a grocery store floor wiping job ...