Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Remembering Melina Mercouri

One of the characteristics of getting old is, I suppose, we think about the lives we had.  And, all of a sudden pop up in our minds events we didn't even know had registered in our memories.  

I had one of those this evening.  I have no idea what led to me thinking about Melina Mercouri's visit to India--this was when I was back in India, working on my undergrad degree.  I wonder if her trip registered in my memory because it was at then that I had read "Zorba the Greek". Anyway, I recall thinking that Mercouri as a minister was so much like the politicians in Tamil Nadu, who had extensive movie connections.  The chief minister at that time, MGR, was a big time movie star before he became a full-time politician.  For that matter, the party to which he belonged for the longest time before breaking away, the DMK, was founded and led by Annadurai and Karunanidhi--both screenplay writers .... 

Ok, back to Melina Mercouri.  So, thanks to YouTube I pulled up the famous song from Never on Sunday, which, of course, I heard for the first time during her visit to India.  Here is the clip:

After that, I thought I should revisit Zorba the Greek; here is that famous dance scene that is also the movie ending

No comments: