Friday, October 29, 2021

The tricks and treats of life

It seems like there was a "fancy dress" competition in school.  Or was it at Park Club? 

Oh well, it doesn't matter either way because it is not like I ever participated in those.  I suppose I have always been General Malaise!

From the colonizers, the elites picked up the idea of high tea and fancy dress (costume party.)  The wannabe elites in the township too had to have these, of course.

The fancy dress events were the closest to Halloween.  But then, until I came to the US, I had no idea that there is something called Halloween when kids go trick or treating and load up on candies.

When students have asked me about my Halloween costume, I have offered them my typical response: "every day is Halloween for me.  People take one look at me and run away scared." 

The day after Halloween is when male students begin to view me with respect and jealousy!

On the other hand, the Hindu life in which I was born and raised offered plenty of "fancy dress" and ghosts throughout the year.  No special day was ever needed. 

As a kid, I was terrified of the image of Bhadrakali.  I had yet to learn that those were not photos but were artistic renderings of vivid imaginations.  I am glad that we didn't have television back then.  Chances are that I would have been terrified of all the violence in Tom and Jerry!  Yes, I have always been a wuss; thanks for asking.

Ghosts were everywhere, especially in tamarind trees.  For whatever reasons, some believed--yes, believed--that tamarind trees were the favorite "haunts" for ghosts. 

At our home in the township, in addition to one big tamarind tree at the gate, there were five or six others in our compound.  Add to this minimal lighting all around and dull streetlights, hey, even adults can easily become terrified.  Every single night was Halloween spooky!

And then there were those times when ghosts presented themselves through people.  Like how my grandmother "appeared" through my cousin, who thus had his fifteen minutes of fame.

The older I get, there are times when I wonder if what I recall as memory are of events that happened or whether they are merely figments of my wild imagination.  Aging is one hell of a strange experience and is the ultimate trick-or-treat event in life!

No comments: