Sunday, January 26, 2020

It was a dark and stormy day

The sky was dark as if it was night though it was day time.  Like the last days of Pompeii.

I switched the lights on.

Even inside the home, leaves and twigs all over the floor as if the wind had blown through the house.

And then it suddenly hit me: I hadn't fed my dog for more than a day. I hadn't even let him out.

I called his name.  He came with his tail wagging.  I gave him a hug. I opened the door by the kitchen for him to go to the side yard.

He rushed out.

There was a puppy--all black--sitting right outside the door.  I shooed the pup away.

I remembered that there was no dog food at home.  I hadn't bought any.

I hurriedly tore a few pieces of bread.  I called out for my dog.  He came in slowly with a stick across his mouth.

It struck me that my dog had died a long time ago. Twenty years ago!

I woke up.


No comments: