Sunday, June 16, 2019

A Sunday for Fathers

Oddly enough, I forgot to call and wish my father on Father's Day, and I got nothing from my daughter either.

Neither my father nor I will care about this omission.  Life is far greater than formal wishes on a single day. 

My favorite philosopher, Calvin, offers an insight, as he always does, into fatherhood.

Source
Fathers--and mothers too--make mistakes in plenty.  We try our best not to, but we err a lot.  There is, unfortunately, no "undo" ever in parenting.  Thankfully, whatever mistakes my parents made must have been only insignificant; we siblings have turned out alright.

Chances are that as children we made serious mistakes every single day.   Parents overlook most of them.  Sometimes, we also do what Calvin does:


At times, or perhaps lots of times, fathers and mothers can be, ahem, controlling:



They did what they had to do so that we could then enjoy being a kid:



It is not just kids who get to do nothing in the summer; some of us fathers who are on furlough also look forward to the long days of sun and warmth and doing nothing.

Happy Father's Day to me.  Oh, ok, to you too ;)

No comments: