Wednesday, September 24, 2014

When I'm 64 ... is not now, dammit!!!

"It is good to be working with you after a long time" she said.  "I haven't even seen you for quite a while."

With a nod and a smile, I said, "hey, when people yell at me to shut up, I figured I would rather keep doing other things."

"I thought you had retired or something."

I clutched at my heart a la Red Foxx.  "Retired?  I barely turned fifty a couple of months ago!"

I have to add this to the long running series (you can backtrack from this post) on people thinking that I am old and decrepit.

The balding head. along with the graying hair on top and on the face, and my fuddy-duddy ways convey to people that I am way older than my age.  The commenting duo make it clear that even my "doing it standing up" makes me old.

Proudly announcing some of the everyday aspects of life, for instance that I own a turntable and that I play LPs doesn't help, I suppose, when the youthful way is to listen to music blasting into one's ears via earbuds and headphones that are connected to smartphones.

What must this man do for people to immediately think that he is a dashingly handsome forty-year young fellow?

Shave the beard off?
Perhaps even get rid of the gray hair from the head, which means complete baldness.
Young I would be, but then, I would look like this:



How would I then pretend that I am thinking, if I didn't have a beard to stroke?
Or, how would I fake my frustrations if I didn't have hair on top to fake yank out?

Oh well.
It is what it is.
So be it.
Some day I will really be 64 anyway!


4 comments:

Ramesh said...

I thought you were 65 two months ago, but never mind :):)

Here's the formula for appearing like a forty-year young fellow (can't help with the dashingly handsome bit)

- Turn your nose at One Direction
- Loudly state that you would die for Charlie XCX
- Also opine that Iggy Azalea's pout is rather cute, but her lyrics suck
- Pre order for the latest single from Marina & the Diamonds and then tweet the pre order acknowledgement
- By the way you have to change the twitter handle from Congoboy to Froot Loop (note the spelling)

You have a fair chance of being mistaken for 14 too

:):)

Sriram Khé said...

Marina and the Diamonds? I need to google that!
Oh wait, Charlie XCX? I will bing that.

Change my Twitter ID from Congoboy? I don't care if people think I am 84!!! ;)
http://sriramkhe.blogspot.com/2013/07/way-past-time-to-retire-phrase-its-dogs.html

Anne in Salem said...

I am closer to 40 than either of you but feel completely out of touch now - worse than my children usually make me feel. Ramesh, I have no idea of any of your references. I have heard of One Direction, though for the longest time I called them One Dimension, much to my children's delight in my ignorant slam at the musical ability of the group. I have never heard their music. As for the others - HUH???

My sister says I was old when I was young, probably because I was mature and responsible well beyond my years as a teenager. I think I am regressing now, or perhaps being the teenager I should have been. It's fun. You should try it, Sriram.

Sriram Khé said...

No ma'am, thanks. I don't want to relive the teenage years. For that matter, not any of the years past either. On this, I am with President Obomba, er, Obama, who said we need to look forward not backward ;)