Friday, June 03, 2011

Drool. Cook. Eat. Aaaah!

The little more than an hour of a drive from work to home means that often my mind wanders about, and an evening ago it was about food. As I went through various options, I settled on a pasta dish for dinner.

But, what kind?

This is spring time, after all, and I wanted to use a couple of fresh ingredients.  So, I stopped at my favorite grocery store close to home, picked up some fresh tomatoes and spinach.  Yes, I knew that I had all the other ingredients at home.

Couldn't even wait to get into home-clothes--went straight into the kitchen, and started with the garlic.

Then diced up the tomatoes.  Got a pot of water going to boil the penne pasta.  And over another flame olive oil to get the garlic to release its flavor.  Threw the pasta into the boiling water, and tossed in chili flakes into the oil where the garlic had transformed into tempting golden colors.  And then all the spinach went in, along with a couple of tablespoons of capers and quite a few kalamata olives.  A few minutes later, the diced tomatoes and salt.

And then it was all a matter of tossing in the pasta from the boiling water into this colorful mix.  A minute after mixing it all, the flames were all off and I went away from the delightful aromas to finally change into comfy home clothes.

Came back and served myself the pasta, and grated some parmesan on it.  And, after I was done, I brewed a cup of decaf coffee.

I was ready to tackle the problems of the world.

No comments: