Wednesday, March 02, 2022

The moon rules over some lives

"How does Maha Shivarathri work in the calendar?  Is is based on the நட்ஷத்திரம் (star) or the திதி (phase of the moon)?" I asked my father when he remarked about the religious day.

It had to be based on the phase of the moon.  Most religious days related to the Hindu gods are calendared that way.  But, I did not know the mechanics of this event's calendar.

"Let me explain.  This will also help me spend some time" appa replied.

At 92, with no visitors for two years because of Covid, and very few people to talk with over the phone, my very social and gregarious father waits for opportunities like this when he can have a meaningful conversation.  After all, there are only so many hours a person can watch television or listen to music.

I too am ready for such explanations.  Religious I am not, but I am filled with curiosity about such matters too.  

To me, it has always been fascinating that the Christian Lent and the Hindu Maha Shivarathri go together because they are based off the phase of the moon.  Four years ago, these religious events nearly coincided with Valentine's Day, which amused me a great deal.

"There is a Shivarathri every month."  He paused to drive home the point.

I had no idea! 

My mind immediately raced ahead to this being the biggest of them all; hence, the Maha, which means great or big.

"It is the day before the new moon, or sometimes even two days prior depending on the number of hours of the திதி on that day."

We mark our calendars in so many ways.  Through most of my childhood, I don't think we even wished each other a happy new year on January 1st.  It was not anything special, other than the fact that we didn't have school that day.  At home, divine and mortal days defined the passing of time.  Birthdays, death anniversaries, the umpteen religious days.

Unlike most other holy days, there was no special food or sweet for Maha Shivarathri.  It was not a day for celebration as much as it was a day for prayers.

We kids did nothing special. I vaguely recall going with the entire family to the centuries-old Shiva temple at Chidambaram, and me getting overwhelmed by the massive crowd that had gathered for Maha Shivarathri.

My grandmothers observed Maha Shivarathri. They recited special prayers in praise of Shiva, whose cosmic dance gave birth to the Sanskrit language itself.  They fasted.  And they tried to stay awake as much as they could and prayed.

"The Shivarathri in Maasi is Maha Shivarathri" appa said.  "I offered prayers my own way.  For the last two years, I have only been sitting at the table to do the pooja." 

It will be Shiva's miracle if the 92-year old is able to sit cross-legged on the floor!


(at age 89!)


No comments: