Sunday, February 02, 2014

Why I owe my friends nothing. Yep, nothing at all!

One friend messaged me inquiring why I hadn't blogged for more than a day.  I know it is not really the blog post itself as much as it to make sure that I was alive and well.

Another "concerned friend," as he signed off in the email, issued an all-points-bulletin on me as a missing person, which deserves special recognition here:
Missing – Sriram Khé
Has a professorial air and sports a beard (sort of)
Last seen 2 days ago with two women
Missing from the blog for 48 hours which is highly unusual
Last seen wearing T shirt of indeterminate colour although it was – 20 outside
Is likely to discourse on the origins of life if wished Good Morning
Possibly lost meandering along the Willamette chasing goslings
Could also have got lost driving on a country road
He’s a nice bloke; so if anybody sights him anywhere, please Tweet “All hail Congoboy”
48 hours? When all I skipped was one day of blogging!!!

How can I ever complain about life with friends like these (and more,) right?

Yet, in the title of this post, I make it clear I don't owe them a damn thing.

I am not being heartless.

Allow me to explain by drawing on the following wonderful words of wisdom from the old country.
मय्येव जीर्णतां यातु यत्त्वयोपकृतं मम ।
नरः प्रत्युपकारार्थी विपत्तिमनुकांक्षति ॥
- सुभाषितसुधानिधि
I do not wish to repay the help that you have done to me.
Any person who wishes to do so, is actually wishing that you get into trouble so that he can help you back.
- Subhashitasudhanidhi
Aha, you say now!

Patience, dear reader, have patience.  Do not ever judge a blog post by its title!

Friends who would worry about your welfare. They wonder if everything is alright with you.  They worry.  They even nag the crap out of you all because they care.

To them, I owe nothing. Nada. Zippo. Zilch.

And now you know why.

BTW, will you now please cancel that missing person report? ;)

4 comments:

Ramesh said...

Anybody who can quote Subhashitasudhanidhi is worthy of much awe, respect, etc etc. I didn't and, still don't, know what or who that is !!!

Sriram Khé said...

You don't know who or what Subhashitani is because you didn't take Sanskrit with Narayana Sastrigal and Pattabhiraman Sir. See what you missed out on????
I wonder if Pattabhiraman will be impressed with how I continue to stumble upon Subhashitanis, and use them in my blogging ... maybe I should try to meet with him the next time I am in India ...
But, then if I show up and he is unable to recall me as a student, similar to how Mrs. Manson could not recall me at all ... she rattled off from memory one classmate's name after another to make sure I got the point that she had no clue about me .... as Dangerfield joked around, story of my life--I don't get no respect! hehehe ;)

Sriram Khé said...

Oh, check this out ;)

https://twitter.com/congoboy/status/430167300134559744

Prats said...

Awesome post and I absolutely agree with Ramesh