Friday, August 31, 2012

Bed in Summer

Perhaps the best way to follow-up on the reflective thoughts in the post yesterday on the waning days of summer, is this simple beauty from Robert Louis Stevenson titled "Bed in Summer"
In winter I get up at night
And dress by yellow candle-light.
In summer, quite the other way,
I have to go to bed by day.

I have to go to bed and see
The birds still hopping on the tree,
Or hear the grown-up people’s feet
Still going past me in the street.

And does it not seem hard to you,
When all the sky is clear and blue,
And I should like so much to play,
To have to go to bed by day?
Well, kids no longer will be complaining that they have to get to the bed--it gets pretty dark even by kids' sleep time.  Now that Labor Day is round the corner, it also means that summer vacation will come to an end for those kids whose school years have yet to begin.  Perhaps their parents have been prepping them up the last few days on a school day schedule of waking up at a certain time, and going to bed by a certain hour.

To everything, turn, turn, turn ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, this paragraph is fastidious, my younger sister is analyzing such things, thus
I am going to convey her.

Anonymous said...

I do agree with all of the ideas you have presented to your post.
They're really convincing and can definitely work.
Still, the posts are very quick for novices. May just you please lengthen them
a bit from subsequent time? Thanks for the post.