Friday, November 18, 2011

Mogadishu was once scenic and attractive like this ...

Above, a picturesque downtown Mogadishu around 1936.
Pictured on the right is Arba Rukun mosque, known as the Mosque of the Four Pillars. Built in 1269 AD, the mosque predates Ibn Battuta's historic arrival in Somalia.
The Italian-built Catholic cathedral, which now lies in ruins, sits in the center, and the Triumphal Arch, honoring Italian King Emmanuel III, on the left. 
More here

Ibn Battuta, a big time wanderer whom I should probably study more given my wandering genes, visited India too, when a good chunk of the northern area was under the rule of Muhammad bin Tughlak.  Oddly enough, the first time I ever knew about this historical note was from Cho's satirical movie. Back in India, when I was a kid!  As I noted in post a few months ago, Cho's satirical writing and movies provided me with quite some fascination for satirical humor.
 

No comments: