Thursday, September 23, 2021

It is simple. Just simplify!

Do you like to keep your options open?  Do you believe that it is a good approach to living one's life? After all, every single day the opportunities seem to increase, right?  And, therefore, not keeping options open might lead to premature decision-making that precludes better options?

Well, chances are that keeping options open tends to make people more unhappy, stressed out, and tired from having to choose between too many things.  Further, decision-fatigue kicks in!  As Wikipedia explains:

 It is now understood as one of the causes of irrational trade-offs in decision making.[2] Decision fatigue may also lead to consumers making poor choices with their purchases.

There is a paradox in that "people who lack choices seem to want them and often will fight for them", yet at the same time, "people find that making many choices can be [psychologically] aversive."

The moral of the story is not difficult to figure out: Reduce the unnecessary decisions you have to make in a day, and without being hasty, try to get going with the choices that you have.

Let me, as I always do, make it autoethnographic.  My life is simple.  And I am never ever tempted by any of these other options that I know exist; I simply don't care.  Nor do I every worry about missing out.

For instance, coffee.  I rarely ever go to a coffee shop.  Why should I when the coffee that I brew at home is awesomely tasty and refreshing!

Occasionally, if I do ever stop at a coffee place, my order is always either a regular coffee or a cappuccino.  Nothing else.  Despite the gazillion options that even the drive-through places have these days.  And, oh, for the record, I have never bought myself any damn thing at any of these drive-through coffee places.

It is not any blissful state of ignorance that I am referring to.  Nope.  In fact, I try my best to be in the know about the fads.  Ignorance just does not appeal to me anyway, in a life that I love examining.  In fact, my concern for a while has been that college has failed in this fundamental aspect of helping students examine and understand life.

Coffee is merely one of the mundane examples from my life that I can cite in this context.  Recall this post about my lunch, for instance?  I suppose my life is relatively easy and stress-free for at least one reason: In many aspects of life, mundane and profound, I have eliminated the need to sort through the endless choices.  As simple as that.

Research continues to confirm that "we’re increasingly bombarded with choices – and it’s stressing us out."  So, what can one do?
It might help to remember that many of the day-to-day choices you make – what to have for lunch, what flavor best complements that caramel macchiato – aren’t going to matter in the grand scheme of things. Even seemingly more consequential choices, like accepting a new job, can ultimately be changed.
Nothing really matters!
When thinking this way, the consequences associated with making the “wrong” choice become less scary.
It could also help to enter these situations with just a few clear guidelines and ideas of what you want – and absolutely don’t want – from the range of options. This can winnow the possible choices, and also make you more confident about your decision-making abilities.
Perhaps this is also why I often come across as a person who knows what he wants, and is quite decisive.  You don't have a choice but to agree with me on this ;)

No comments: