Saturday, April 17, 2021

Small talk returns

The sun is shining.  The air is warmer.  Vaccinations are well under way.

No surprise that the grocery store felt very lively.

The guy who has worked the produce aisles through the years that I have been shopping there waved out to me along with a loud HELLO!

After picking up everything that I had on my list, and more, I reached the checkout counter.

"I haven't seen you forever," Kathy said.

"How have you been?"

"Alive. Happy to have a job."

I nodded as I placed my groceries on the belt.  I wondered if I should tell her that I am alive, but that soon I will be out of a job.

Wendy came over to say hi.

"Hello, big boss."  Recently, she has had to take on supervisory responsibilities.

I decided that this was the moment.  Wendy has been a friend in a very unusual grocery store small-talk way for almost a decade.

"Want to hear some big news?" I asked them.

They both drew closer.

"I have been laid off.  No job after December."

In unison, they responded with "WHAT?"

"It is always the best teachers who are fired," said Kathy while shaking her head.

Wendy met my eyes, and perhaps she noticed that I didn't seem worried.  She quickly recovered to the humor road that is familiar to us.

"Want a cashier job here? We can start you at all of 7 dollars and 95 cents."

Before I could come up with a repartee, Kathy jumped in with, "come on, we can fast track him at 11.95"

I laughed.

"Have you had your shots?"

Kathy was all done.  Wendy has had her first.  "How about you?" she asked.

I told her that I was still waiting for my turn.

"Call up White Bird.  They'll take you in right away if you tell them you have been laid off."

I laughed again.

It has been a long time since I laughed at the grocery store checkout counter.  Life cannot be bad then.

No comments: