Thursday, February 04, 2021

Divergence and convergence

Back in the old country, in those old days before television and the internet, it was in rather strange ways that I learnt about the African continent.  Father's interest to get to Sierra Leone on a work assignment (which did not happen), the travel writing by Manian, and my classmate having spent two years in Kenya, all gave me an idea of Africa that made me all the more curious about the people from there.

In graduate school, one of the fellow students I really liked interacting with was a wonderfully sharp guy from Nigeria.  Kayode, whose intellectual pursuits were in science and engineering, and I shared many common interests, from movies to politics to sports too.  We were the only people who liked Jacob's Ladder, or at least it seemed that way ;)

The first time I invited Kayode to taste my home cooking, I thought I had to warn him that the food might be spicy for his taste.  After taking a bite, Kayode laughed his characteristic hearty laugh and said something like "if you think this is spicy, you have to taste my aunt's cooking back in Nigeria. I bet you won't be able to handle it." 

A few days after that, we were talking about this with his friend Seth (?), who was from Ghana.  He then challenged Kayode that his family cooked even spicier meals.  

I had no idea until then that in Africa, too, spicy food was not unusual at all.

Years have gone by.  Our lives take us to different places and peoples.  Work and family.  But, the memories remain.

I decided that it was time to contact my old friend.

"Hey Kayode: This is Sriram, from the old USC days."

Within hours a lengthy reply arrived.

He commented about his gray hair.  I am jealous that he has hair!

Old friendships.  A little bit of watering and they come back to life.

No comments: