Saturday, March 15, 2014

Ketching up on the Ides of March

The bodybuilder woman at the checkout smiled a big welcome smile as I neared her counter.  If only I felt this welcomed wherever I go!

"What did a big tomato tell the small tomato?" she asked me even without saying a hi.  She knows that I love groaners and now has made it a habit to keep collecting them so that she can share that with me.  If only everybody I interact with took this much interest in making my life pleasant!

"What did it tell the small tomato?"

"Ketchup!"

I chuckled and said that only a couple of days ago a student told us a variation of this, and proceeded to tell her that.

"Papa tomato, mama tomato, and junior tomato are crossing the road.  Papa darts across. And so does mama. The son is halfway across when a truck smashes him."
A pause for the effect.
"So, what did papa tomato yell out?"
"Ketchup son."

We both laughed.  "I like that imagery even better" she said.

"If you were here yesterday, I had one for Pi Day" she added.

Of course, I wanted to know that one too.

"Studies show that 3.14 percent of all sailors are PIrates." Haha!

"Did you get to enjoy the day today?" she asked.

It was a gorgeous spring-like day.  Perhaps it even reached a high of 70 degrees.  Brilliant sunlight. A gentle breeze. When I did my usual five-mile walk by the river, it felt as if the entire town was out and about. And everybody was talking loudly.  We missed the sun and the warmth and nothing was going to stop us from being outside.

"Yes, I did.  What an awesome day it was."

"Do you completely get away from work though?"

"Not really. But, I have no complaints about it because I love doing what I do."

"My husband is the same way.  He loves what he does."

A few lucky ones we are to enjoy the work that we do--so much so that we don't find any need to disconnect from it even as we partake in other enjoyments that life offers.

"What is your name?" she asked.

I told her like how I typically introduce myself.

"Next time I hope to remember your name when I say hi" she said.

"Of course. See you next time, Wendy" I replied to the bodybuilder.


2 comments:

Ramesh said...

Next time you bump into Wendy, ask her , for me, what's the difference between ketchup and sauce ???

Kottapali said...

lovely.
The papa tomato joke was used as a non-joke in Quentin Tarantino's Pulp Fiction.