Monday, June 11, 2012

The poetry of a term coming to an end ...

After I collect the tests and papers that students in the freshman class turn in, the first thing I do is to flip over to the final pages of each of those submitted works hoping that there would be interesting comments for me.  For, it was not that much out of the ordinary for students to include comments like, "thanks for a great class," or, well, you get the drift.

One term, a student made a flip-book kind of thanks, which was innovative. A few years ago, one student in my intro class upped the ante to levels I had never experienced before.  It was an in-class exam, and she had written a rhyming set of lines at the end of her responses. 

Since then, ironically, there have been only occasional comments from intro class students anymore. 

And, nothing at all over the last couple of years.

I am hoping that it is not because I have changed and that my work doesn't spark in students anything substantive for them to write such comments.

Perhaps I come across as way too intense now, compared to years past, especially now that the age gap has widened between a typical intro class student and me.

But, hey, to that student, whose name--and I am sheepish to admit it--I hadn't jotted down, well, a big thanks to you wherever you are.  I did save your verse:


1 comment:

Ramesh said...

That's so sweet I dare say,
I'm sure that made your day;
End of term blues now at bay,
Did you secretly yell yay ?

Oh well; be that as it may
Profs don't have to be so grey
To such a lassie, you can't say nay
You've got to giver her an A !