Saturday, May 07, 2011

Remembering Arthur Laurents

I hadn't yet completed my first year of living in the US as a poor graduate student when I watched West Side Story.  It was small television set that my roommate owned, and yet that miniscule screen size didn't take away the excitement of the musical in any way.  I am reminded of all that because of the news that one of the four people involved in creating that phenomenal musical, Arthur Laurents, died.

It is not as if I had been listening to Broadway musicals in India.  Not at all.  West Side Story was my first ever, and what a way to fall in love with Broadway!  I had no idea about Bernstein and Sondheim too.  So, there I was completely transfixed by the visual and aural experience.

Even though I was only on a student visa at that time, I had left India with a larger idea of making America my home, if things worked out well.  So, naturally, the piece that really, really, grabbed my attention was "America."  Now, when I discuss migration and immigration in my classes, every once in a while I play "America" for my students too



Yes, "I like to be in America" ... Ole!

And, of course, "Tonight"



Over the years, I have watched more musicals, including Gypsy.  It was the revival with Patti Lupone that I watched on Broadway. "Honey, everything's coming up roses"



I suppose I have gotten to an age in my life when I can relate in more ways than one to "the way we were"



Thanks, Mr. Laurents

No comments: