Monday, May 25, 2015

Hotdog! It is Memorial Day already?

A few years ago, when I was working with the physical therapist on my Calcific tendinitis, the only way I could get over the uncomfortable closeness of a stranger was by chatting with her--the silence at that proximity was way unsettling ;)  I recall asking her if she had any plans for the Memorial Day cookout.

"Did you say cookout?" she was shocked.  And I couldn't understand her reaction.

She explained that out in the west people seemed to use "grill" and "barbecue" more than "cookout," which is the word that she was used to in the Midwest.

It didn't surprise me at all that people find my vocabulary and accent rather strange and offbeat.  More than a couple of people find that I pronounce "about" as if I had spent some time in the Canadian frontiers.  One couple asked me years ago whether my English teachers were from Scotland, or if they had been trained in Scotland, because of what they considered to be traces of Scottish accent.  I was asked about my Scottish accent at a conference here in the US..  A student asked me about my Irish-sounding accent.  Back in graduate school, a fellow Indian student thought I spoke with a Bengali accent.

The other day, a junior colleague asked me whether I had any culture shock when I came to the US.  In replying to her question, I played the same joke that I have shared with students for years: "if you think my accent makes me difficult to understand, you ought to be thankful you didn't meet me when I was fresh off the boat."  The colleague said, "you have a beautiful accent."

I have no idea where I picked up the accent that I have and the words that I use.  The friend comments that sometimes I use words and idioms that became out-of-fashion back in the 1950s!  I suppose I am an old soul who has traveled the world including places that I have not been to!

My point is, I have no idea why I asked the therapist about the "cookout" as opposed to the "barbecue."

I do have plans for a cookout.  Not at my place.  At a friends'--a Memorial Day tradition almost since moving to Oregon, with a couple of missed years in between.

Yet again, I will climb down from the veg-wagon.  This time in order to have the annual hotdog--almost charred and smoked while holding it over the embers.


Having already shared with the regulars there my favorite Dalai Lama joke that I picked up from a philosophy show a few years ago, I will refrain from that this year.  But, I will share that with you ;)

The Dalai Lama visits Times Square and is excited being a tourist.  He decides to get himself a New York hotdog, and walks up to a vendor and says "make me one with everything."
(I will pause for your laughter.  What?  You didn't get the joke? tsk, tsk!)
Anyway, after getting the hotdog, the monk asks how much he has to pay.  The vendor says "eight bucks."  The Dalai Lama gives him a twenty and waits for the twelve back.
The vendor does not give him anything.
The Dalai Lama then asks the vendor, "hey, what about the change?"
The hotdog vendor replies, "change comes from within."
(You got this joke at least?)


5 comments:

  1. I am from the Midwest and still call it a cookout. I always grill my food though, never barbecue. Either way, good eats!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sriram Sir,

    I have been reading your blog for some time now and eagerly following the posts after a mutual friend - Vidhyashankar aka Gils commenting on your posts and your comments on his blog posts.

    At times, when the work-load is less and there is time to read, I browse through your old posts and stare at wonder at the sheer amount of information that you share and the wide variety of topics that you choose to write on!

    Do read my blog when you find time sir and I look forward to your valuable comments.

    Regards,
    Mahesh

    ReplyDelete
  3. A rose by any other name smells as sweet, eh Anne? ;)

    Good to "meet" you, Mahesh. The "sir" makes me feel way old!!! ;)
    Glad that it is a positive review that brought you here ... yes, will check out your blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have fun on a very American day and very American way of celebrating it.

    Your accent is certainly not Scottish or Irish - the Queen would frown at such a suggestion :)

    Hot dog ??? Tsk Tsk :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Queen frowns too much ... no wonder the Scots want to break free ;)

    Hey, it is once a year--gimme a break!!!

    ReplyDelete

Posts popular the last 30 days